Thursday, July 18, 2019

Days 7 & 8- Two days off

Well, I'm not going to lie; it was delightful to have some free time to explore and/or rest at one's own pace.  I set some modest goals: laundry, a yoga class, and a couple of healthy meals.  I met those goals.  The funny thing about being in England is that you expect everything to be the same because it is an English-speaking country, just like the USA.  But even the laundry machines and soap powder are different.  However, I did manage.  I had found an Iyengar yoga class in the neighborhood and emailed the teacher and so was able to walk to a class held in a church which was in a garden.  The teacher, Brenda, was sharp, just back from India, and her teachings were clear.  It was nice to spend an hour where I knew exactly what was going on.  Then on the way back I stopped at a lovely vegan restaurant where you help yourself to the portions you want and are charged by weight.  It was delicious, and right across from this funny building:



Southwark (pronounced Sow'ork) is quite the juxtaposition of the old and the new, quite obvious in the scale:

After my walk I visited the Tate for some more free modern art, finished my laundry, blogged, chatted with a few folks via FaceTime, and then went for dinner at Wagamama, sitting at an outside table.  Several people I knew from the program ambled by and a couple of them stopped and joined me.  So it was just the right blend of quiet and sociability, adventure and homebody time.

Today was the day for adventure, as a few of us had planned a trip to Oxford!  After breakfast we took the tube to Paddington Station, and then the rail just one hour to Oxford, and a taxi from the train to the city.  




Well, Oxford is just the most beautiful city, and one that has been filmed and written about so much that it seems familiar.  I think I first read about it when I read Dorothy Sayers' Lord Peter Whimsy mysteries.

 I picked a sprig of this lavender and it still smells divine - the strongest scented I have ever snuffed!




I want to live here; at least for a course.  I shall return!

 Friends on a cobblestone street
 Giant gargoyle
 A whimsical gate...
 Punting, viewed from The Bridge of Sighs
Bodleian Library
 Lunch at The White Horse, a pub that has been extant since 1541, and has low, beamed ceilings and not a right angle in the whole place.  

We also visited The Eagle and The Child, (nick-named 'The Bird and The Baby') 
where J.R.R. Tolkein and C.S. Lewis used to drink.  


No comments:

Post a Comment